This position has been filled!
|Job Title||Cartographer / GIS Web Developer|
|Empl Group||Acad Prof and Admin|
About the Department
The Polar Geospatial Center (PGC) at the University of Minnesota – Twin Cities provides geospatial support, mapping, and GIS/remote sensing solutions to researchers and logistics groups in the polar science community. We collaborate with scientists around the world to complete their research goals in a safe, timely, and efficient manner by providing a service which most groups do not have the resources or expertise to complete. Our goal is to introduce new, state-of-the-art techniques from the geospatial field to effectively solve problems in the least mapped places on Earth.
The User Services group within the PGC serves as a portal for the polar community to PGC’s data, geospatial expertise, experience, and problem solving capabilities. User Services members manage internal operations in order to fulfill incoming requests. The Polar Geospatial Center is primarily supported by the National Science Foundation, and plays a key role in the international polar geospatial data network through collaborations with external academic institutions, government contractors and federal facilities. For more information please visit our website: www.pgc.umn.edu
We are located on the University of Minnesota Saint Paul campus.
About the Job
The Polar Geospatial Center at the University of Minnesota, Twin Cities is seeking a cartographer and web developer to join the Product Development and User Support teams. The applicant will be responsible for developing and maintaining geospatial web applications, creating and curating web services, and authoring map products for science support in Antarctica and the Arctic. The applicant is expected to interact with scientists and science support staff to fulfill their requirements as well as design and implement creative solutions to geospatial problems. Cartographic and design experience is required. Travel for extended periods of time may be required to support researchers in remote locations.
The successful candidate must be able to multi-task and work on a variety of user support and development projects both independently and in collaboration with others. The applicant should possess strong problem-solving skills and the ability to learn quickly. At the Polar Geospatial Center, work is fast-paced and constantly evolving, so the applicant must have good organizational and communication skills.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Geographic Information Science, Computer Science, or a related field
- 2+ years of experience in cartography and web development
- Command of GIS and cartographic fundamentals, including color and symbology theory, typography, display hierarchies, and reference mapping
- Proficient in Adobe Suite / Creative Cloud
- Experience in Python or a related programming language
- Proficient in geodatabase schema design and implementation
- Must be able to physically qualify for deployment to Antarctica
- Advanced degree and 2+ years of experience or 4+ years of experience in cartography and web development
- Expertise with Git or other version control and collaboration tools
- Experience using GDAL/OGR and Arcpy libraries
GIS Web development (50%)
- Develop and maintain geospatial web applications
- Create and curate web services
- Manage QuickBase application and User Account system
- Organize map catalog database, entries, requests, etc.
- Oversee ArcGIS Server operations and updates
- Assist development of web application for users to search, view and download PGC products (FRIDGE)
- Produce custom maps per request
- Update existing maps for ongoing projects (typically annually)
- Maintain and update color, type and other PGC graphics or visual representations in products
- Design and implement creative solutions to geospatial needs
User services (25%)
- Manage several dozen users and their projects as main point-of-contact
- Fulfill user requirements and requests in timely, efficient and friendly manner
- Communicate with users over email, phone, and in-person
- Produce results and summaries for quarterly reports